Monday, July 2, 2012

Why I Won't Buy Jillian Michaels' Body Revolution

In my mid-twenties I bought one of the Billy BlanksTae Bo videos. I thought that the Tae Bo class would be a nice variation to my workout routine. I was already practicing from a Living Arts yoga video once or twice a week and going to a spin class at least two or three times a week. However, within fifteen minutes of trying the Tae Bo workout, discouraged, I crashed into my seven foot floral couch, sweat pouring, and watched as the very fit participants in the video kickboxed through the next hour or so. I never tried the workout again.
Recently, I viewed some part of Jillian Michaels' (The Biggest Loser) infomercial for her new series of workout DVDs called Body Revolution . My interest was piqued. I remembered that Jillian Michaels has been integral in helping many people slim down and get more healthy. The woman changes peoples' lives on television. However, after watching what little I did of the infomercial, I wondered if taking her workout plan might prove the same results as my attempt to work out with Billy Blanks, all for the cost of $135.00 (after the estimated shipping and handling) which to me at this point in time is no chump change.
The infomercial features a room full of very fit people employing some very high impact routines that I have no doubt will slim, trim, and tone any participant if they are able to keep to the routines. What I don't see is an entry point for people who are either just beginning the workout or at a mid-level in the infomercial. Nor do I see anyone whose body type I can relate to as far as where I am now.
I understand that the series increases in challenge and I also understand that Michaels has included workouts from The Biggest Loser. It is evident that the program aims for significant and swift results. I like these bits of information and yet I still crave to watch someone go through the process as I do instead of finding myself working out with people who look to me like athletes already. I think that seeing someone progress as I progress would encourage and feel more realistic to me than what I've seen so far. The knowledge that Jillian Michaels was the personal trainer for the participants of The Biggest Loser just is not enough.
I am not sold. 

***originally published at Yahoo Contributor Network

No comments:

Post a Comment